BS 4163:2021+A1:2022 Health and safety for design and technology in schools and similar establishments – Code of practice
Member Price: £74.00
Your Price: £85.00
BS 4163:2021+A1:2022 Health and safety for design and technology in schools and similar establishments – Code of practice - Printed Booklet
A4 printed booklet. This essential document is the basis for all D&T Health and Safety publications and guidance and provides an explanation of the legal aspects of the British Standard Code of Practice. In any investigation by the Health and Safety Executive it will be the ultimate reference document for secondary schools, FE colleges, local authorities, teacher training establishments, manufacturers of machinery for use in educational establishments and architects/designers of educational buildings.
The document provides:
- General guidance on class sizes, room layout, lighting, flooring, signage etc
- Specific guidance on machinery and equipment
- Details of the D&T Association H&S training and accreditation scheme
- A4 printed booklet, perfect bound copies. This is not sold as a download copy.
This resource is ideal for secondary school heads of department and subject leaders.
What’s new in BS4163?
This is an extensive revision of the document with significant technical changes including:
- Complete restructure to make it easier to navigate
- Updates to the training requirements of supervisory staff
- Updates across all areas of ventilation requirements, particularly heat treatment areas, in line with IGEM updates
- Requirements for CO2 monitoring for new or refurbished facilities
- Updated guidance regarding the risks from welding and strengthened advice on fume controls when working with hot metals
- Guidance regarding the latest requirements for gas in schools
- Updated section on general guidance for plastics
- Updated guidance on the use of Computer Operated Equipment, plus a greater distinction between different types
- Updated section on injection and extrusion moulding machines (which may include 3D printer systems)
- Clarified requirements for fixed electrical servicing
- Updated requirements for portable appliance testing
- Updated references to RPE and PPE throughout, including clarification on types of mask/eye protection
- More detail on COSHH requirements for materials and processes
- Improvement of risk details for noise and HAVs
- Updated Work Exposure Limit
- Updated advice regarding the use of table routers with single piece cutters
- Separation of metal sawing equipment (with cutting discs, abrasive discs, power hacksaws, metal cutting bandsaws)
- Updated awareness of sensitising risks from metalworking fluids and other materials
- Changes to use of barrier creams
- Clarified requirements for guarding across all machines
- Updated advice regarding isocyanate spraying
- Clarification of the need for checks of lifting gear in motor vehicle workshops
BS 4163:2021+A1:2022 contributes to UN Sustainable Development Goal 3 on ensuring healthy lives and promoting well-being for all at all ages.
Prices include VAT at the appropriate rate where applicable, postage and packing for UK only. For overseas postage please call us.
Back to products